- navy polo/uniform dress or navy jumper (uniform dress) with white short sleeve polo underneath (navy or black shorts to be worn under)
- baggy oversized grey crewneck sweater/sweatshirt,
- navy knee high socks
- black dance shoe (ballet slipper or jazz shoe)
- if you are using a uniform you already have from school, please note that any school logos must be covered up with a matching colour.
- Hair down, frizzy, messy, still pulled away and off face.
- Multiple hardcover books. This will be discussed further in class.
GENERAL NOTES FOR MATILDA JR:
For uniforms: Old Navy/Gap (youth and adult sizes), Children’s Place, Navy and White (youth and adult sizes), or Amazon are great resources.
Please feel free to get ideas and references from the Movie and Musical costumes!
If you can’t find these items in your closet or the regular stores you shop at; don’t forget that thrift stores often have the items that you’re looking for, especially if the colours we are asking you to find are not this season’s colours! Salvation Army and Once Upon a Child in Milton are great resources, as is the Value Village on Dundas at Winston Churchill. There are also some online thrift stores you can look into now such as Poshmark and ThredUp. You can also try Walmart, Michaels or Amazon.
- No logos or characters on clothing.
- Please wear clothing only in the colours listed for your character. When we design the show we have specific looks for all the characters!
- Performing under hot stage lights and extra adrenaline and nerves, can cause stinky actors; remind you actor to wear deodorant during rehearsal and performances!
- Some cast members are playing more than one role; we have created a base look and MYTP will be providing the rest for all characters. These additional items will be provided during show week.
- Please treat your costumes like costumes! Even if they are made of items found in your closet, once chosen, please leave them to the side and do not wear them out (to the store, school, etc.) until after show week.
Hair/Make-Up: Standard requirements as shown on main Costumes/Hair/Makeup tab. Unless otherwise stated above. All hair, regardless of style, must be completed with gel, hair spray and bobby pins. Although MY recommends all actors wear make up (to highlight and define facial features under the bright stage lights), make up is optional. MY recommends actors wear mascara (or fake eyelashes), define brows, blush and a natural lip colour.
Shoes: Jazz/Ballet shoes worn in rehearsal. Must be black shoes – all dance shoes can be spray painted, if you need MY to complete this task, it will be a $5 charge.
Socks/Undergarments: Please be mindful of these choices (undergarments, comfort, straps, colours). Socks should match your pant or shoe colour (or omit entirely), unless otherwise stated above. Undergarments should not be able to be seen through your costume pieces. As well, for those wearing skirts and dresses, there must be shorts worn underneath.
Microphones: If your actor wears a mic (to be notified during class closer to show week), they must have a secure location for the “pack” to be located. This should not be on the costume itself! Please wear an additional sports bra or shorts (the tighter, the better).
ALL COSTUMES ARE DUE IN CLASS STARTING MAY 1st. ALL CAST MEMBERS WILL WEAR THEIR FULL COSTUMES TO ALL REHEARSALS IN MAY, UNTIL SHOW WEEK! If there are any questions, please do not hesitate to reach out. Be sure to start looking for costumes right away in case you need to order anything online or have trouble finding pieces, so that everything has arrived and is prepared for May!